Plan B...

I know most people have a "plan b" in life as far as their careers go. So basically you always know that if you try your Plan A and it doesn't work out you can always fall back on your plan b. But...have you ever had random urges to quit plan A and go to plan B?

This happens to me once in a while. My plan A of course is to continue in the entertainment biz (no not THAT kind of entertainment!) This is a very competitive business and at times i feel like it's stress that i dont need to put on myself. So sometimes I wake up in this mood to just start going to school for my plan B which is teaching. I'd love to be in the classroom with inner city kids and just let them know what's out there. There are times that I even have these great ideas for assignments lol (weird i know)

In the end I know that i love what i do, it's very challenging and I have what it takes to get to where i want to be but...damn...sometimes it's hard! I feel like my skills would be put to better use in a classroom setting.

Is this quarter-life crisis or what? lol

2 comments:

I totally feel you. I thought I had my life planned but I just want it to get there to the point where I'm stable and happy!! It's going to take so long!! I can't take it!! It's like I have to work another year, write essays, apply to school, go to school, then get a job, pay off my loan, THEN make money, get my own place, and THEN I can feel like I can become a teacher and be happy... but u know how long before that happens???? I'll be about 33 - thats 8 yrs :(

At least Sheila you have a cool job. Meaning it's something that you enjoy doing eventhough it's challenging - so you can work hard at it and know that it will get u somewhere where you KNOW you would like to be.
Me? Well today I had one of the managers come to me and ask me a question about the value of the USDollar and how the decisions made today on some rates (I dont remember exactly) would affect the value of the USD? You should have seen my face... I just smiled.. (I guess that whole smile thing doesn't work for everything) lol. I was honest w/ him and said u know i'm so busy i haven't read anything about what has been going on w/ the market recently. This is true but at the same time I don't care. I do my job I'm f*cking awesome at it.. but I don't care to know more or move to the next step. Is that bad? lol. I mean I would love to know it and be able to engage in conversations and give my opinion about trades, but I want to just know it, I dont want to sit down and learn it. Ugh.. I'm a loser!! lol. I just want to go to college and stay living in a dorm for the next ten years with no bills a work study job and travel during all my vacation. :(

Totally a quarter life crisis - let's not even get into boys....hmm maybe that will be my next blog.

January 15, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

I don't really believe its a crisis, i just believe it's reality. Many of us always have that passion, but we also have that other thing we always knew we could be good at and would make us feel good. In your case, that happens to be teaching. Trust me, I love journalism and all, but I really want to open a business or be the GM of an NBA team one day. LOL. Those are really things I know I'd love doing more and have so many ideas for them.

I was once in entertainment and know how stressful it can be. Also, how competitive it is and how people get passed over for promotions for someone's cousin or girlfriend which would make anyone sick.

My advice is...Do what you feel. You obviously love your job, but if you feel its not getting you to where you want to be, i suggest you make a move. Think about it this way...I know it's hard to find a job out there, but if you continue to make your stamp in this industry, you can leave it and go to teaching for a few years and see what it's like. If you like it, stay. If you don't, you're credentials can't be passed over when looking for the type of you job you have. It's all a risk, but sometimes reward comes out of it. Maybe you can blend the two?

January 23, 2008 at 11:12 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home