Fiyah!

Saturday night I got home around 4 something in the morning (formerly known as 3 something in the morning. i heart daylight savings). It was soo windy and cold that night. Tired and ready to go straight to bed, I grabbed the nearest shorts, 2 blankets and knocked out.

A couple of hours later during some really deep sleep, I get woken up by my sister, "They said there's a fire in the building!"

I did not hesitate for a second, which we both laughed about later on. Maybe it's some sisterly connection but I looked at her and knew it wasn't a joke.

You always wonder what you would take with you in case of a fire...pictures, the dog, bla bla bla. Well I didn't ask any questions. I knew the fire obviously wasn't in our apt but I didn't know if it was nearby or not. First thing I did was look for some sneakers to put on. Then I grabbed my coat. Everything (credit card, debit card, ID) was in one purse from the night before so I took that. Grabbed the cell phone off the charger. Looked back at my computer thinking "sorry dude =/". And out we went.

People were running out with their babies wrapped in blankets...hair all wrapped up...eye crusties everywhere... little kids crying 'cause they were scared. One little girl asked to borrow my cell phone 'cause her daddy hadn't come outside yet. My little cousin was dragged outside in his boxers.

It turned out it wasn't a big thing. Well it was for the people who live in the apartment that was on fire but the main inconvenience for the rest of us was almost having a heart attack and the terrible smoke smell that still lingers in the hallway. Oh, and it was freaking cold outside. Wasn't a good night to choose to sleep in shorts. The rumor is that some couple was having an argument and either one of them knocked a candle over or purposely set the place on fire. Dra-ma!

2 comments:

Aww this makes me think of how growing up, crackheads in the abandoned building next door always usede to set it on fire so we would always sleep ready to walk out in the middle of the night. We never took anything with us tho cuz we knew it would never spread. lol True Story!

March 11, 2008 at 11:01 PM  

lol.. thats crazy... i never thought of what i would take... that sucks. Do you know that as rent owners we're supposed to get rental insurance? Well I found out not too long ago. It's super cheap too but anyways... yeah thats it

March 13, 2008 at 6:48 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home